Peace and Pandemonium

Monday, November 8, 2010

 

Gratitude Journal: Day Six

I am grateful to be a woman.
Even more grateful to be a mother!

This past Saturday I was honored by my beautiful friends and sisters with the most amazing baby shower known to women. I personally am not a fan of the traditional baby shower. I just cant stand the stupid games. While I'm all for celebrating the birth of a new little one and more importantly supporting his/her new momma, I hate the humiliation of tasting candy bar "poo" that has been melted in a diaper, for fun! Who came up with that crap? (Pun intended.) It's just an abomination in my opinion. Thankfully, I am lucky enough to have friends who wholeheartedly agree with me and who are willing to think outside of the box. My dearest Alisha came up with the idea of an Artistic Tribute to Women and Mothers. Did I mention it was semi formal? As soon as she said it I was 110% on board. Once Ashley and Jenica agreed to help plan it, I knew it was going to exceed anything I could hope for. What I really wanted was an evening that would be positive, uplifting and would unify everyone in attendance. I also really wanted a final hurrah before my baby and the holidays and a long cold winter. I got everything I wanted and more!

The evening was a HUGE success. So many of my closest friends were in attendance. Supporting me and celebrating womanhood with me. It was all I could have hoped for. I'm still riding the high. There were even a few "extra specials" who were willing to contribute to the program. Let me stop here and quickly mention that the program itself (the piece of paper it was printed on) nearly brought me to tears. It was sooo beautiful. How did I end up with such talented friends? She sang this song with her husband who graciously played the guitar. I cried. She sang this. Again, more tears. One wrote amazing original poetry and there were a few who read and recited some of the most incredible words written. Like this and this and this. They reminisced about poignant moments in their lives. Moments that made them appreciate their roles as mother, wife, sister. I was just a puddle of emotions throughout the whole thing. It was powerful!! Stuff like this (and lets face it, McDonald's commercials) make pregnant women cry ya know. With my friends and sisters performing on my behalf, well lets just say, I didn't stand a chance. Thankfully there were plenty of tissues.

In the end, I felt overwhelmingly honored. There is something unique and special about the support and love that one woman can offer another woman. It is invaluable and necessary to our success and happiness as mothers, wives, sisters, friends, neighbors and daughters. All women need each other. I am so grateful to have such an amazing group of beautiful, talented, artistic, creative, kind and generous friends to call my own.
Thank you to all who were in attendance. It meant the world to me.

The three who pulled it all together...Ashley, me, Alisha, and Jenica


More pictures from the evening to follow soon.

Comments:
Sounds like an amazing night! I like the idea you went from a traditional shower to something more artistic. Sounds like something my daughters would like.
Can't wait to see the photos.
 
ah, so this is what alisha wanted the carol lynn pearson quote for. :) sounds amazing!
 
Sorry I didn't end up making it to this! Zoe was sick and things just didn't align . . . sounds great though. Wish I could have been there.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   December 2010   January 2011   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]